Loving Simple Pleasures





It’s been a long day, but somehow not long enough, and I felt moved to go for my one hour walk this evening. It’s invigorating to move this body temple and whip up the circulation in the fresh air and sunlight. Walking is a good and wholesome endeavor.

And while I walk, I think. I think and I walk, and tonight I was inspired to do something new… I called someone. I have realized that life for me, unfolds more gracefully, poignantly and productively when I reach out and engage others in my journey. When I enlist another soul and share the excitement of whatever I’m thinking of at the moment, and that excitement is amplified. When I enlist the perspective of other people, I tap into a well of insights that unleashes power and impact in my life to accomplish and advance work that means something to me. I magnify my power by sharing the stage and letting someone else’s power be on display. 

So today, what’s on my mind, is this wonderful notion of appreciating the little things. If you’re like me, then you frequently fall into this mindless devaluing of simple things in life just because they’re not spectacular or miraculous or amazing. What happens is we end up waiting for life to begin. We are anxious for some new adventure to present itself to make life worth loving when we miss an infinite number of simple pleasures as close as our breath, but invisible to eyes that are blind to simple pleasures. 

Today, I’m mindful of that loving life might be an act of our will. Not something that we discover during precious few moments, but something that is in the stillness and the mundane, waiting for us to notice and savor. What if loving life is an act of our will and available in every simple inconspicuous moment?

And so I reached out to someone who was surprised and delighted to hear from me. And I shared what I found enchanting about our last encounter. It was a moment we shared when we touched peoples lives, and I noticed the distinct energy elevation that took place when we relived it. By sheer force of will, by treating love like the verb it is, I imposed the eyes of love onto my simple life and loved it. This beautiful practice is so simple, it’s easy to miss, but therein lies it’s value and the truth of it. 

To have a life you love, love the life you have. 

The temperature of the air on your cheek. The rose blossoming on the vine. The birds’ cheerful banter. Reliving a moment you shared with another soul uplifting others. A million simple, seemingly unimportant things that move into experience, but only move into awareness when you have eyes to see them. These are the elements of life well lived. See them. Relish them. Love them. When you do, the beauty of life lives you. And you can’t help but realize with quiet conviction, “I love my life.”

I'd love to hear from you. Please share in the comments... what simple pleasure can you enjoy today? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts